Out and About
Best walks from 2019
It is hard to pin this down to 5 but here are my favourite walks from 2019.
1. Fill your senses at the beaches - what is better than a long walk on the beach. I love the sensations of bare foot walking - feeling the different textures of sand and rocks. I love the sound of feet slopping through the sand, the waves coming in to shore. I love the feel of the breeze coming off the water - not so keen when it is a windy day and you don't notice until you turn back into the wind! I love the light's play on the water and watching clouds skim across the sky. I love the salty smell of the ocean and yes even the smell of the seaweed when it covers the beach! I love coming across a seabird hopping on the shore, an osprey floating on the breeze, seashells in all their perfection. I love the salty taste on your lips as the spray hits you from a larger wave. I love the endless horizon. A beach walk really does fill all your senses.
We are truly spoilt for beautiful beaches in Perth but my favourite is Burns Beach from Burns Beach Foreshore - you can walk for an hour all the way up to Mindarie Beach. This isn't a great swimming beach as the coastline is very rocky but exploring the rock formations will keep the kids busy and you can sit and watch the incoming waves create waterfalls and rivulets.
2. Burswood Heritage Trail - Fabulous sculptures set in beautiful gardens alongside the stunning Swan River. Playgrounds, picnic facilities and even tiny river beaches make this a perfect day out.
3. Dalkeith Turtle Adventure - this was a big adventure and I would probably cut it down to do a loop taking in Mason Gardens, Sunset Precinct, Birdwood and Jo Wheatley Playground.
4. Jorgenson Park - Kalamunda
An easy bushwalk best in Spring when the wildflowers are out. Fabulous valley views and it even takes in a bit of the Bibbulmun Track.
5. Railway Reserves Heritage Trail Darlington to Glen Forrest
This is a fabulous flat walk starting from picturesque Darlington and heading to Glen Forrest where the kids can play on the train playground before heading back. At it's best in late winter or spring when the creek is running and the wildflowers are blooming.
#bestwalksinperth #discoverperth #perthwithkids #walkswithkids #perthbeaches #burswoodheritagesculpturetrail #jorgensonpark #railwayreservesheritagetrail #darlington #glenforrest #masongardens #sunsetprecinct #birdwoodnatureplayground #jowheatleyallabilitiesplayground